Milwaukee Career College is excited to announce that we now offer Surgical Technology Associates Degree! Our Surgical Technology program prepares students to work directly with surgeons to perform a variety of tasks before, during and after surgery.
Surgeons rely on Surgical Technologists to provide superior patient care in the operating room (OR). Some of the common tasks they perform include:
- Ensuring the OR has been disinfected and all surgical instruments has been properly sterilized
- Setting up surgical supplies and equipment before operation
- Handing and receiving surgical instruments and supplies to and from the medical team
- Accounting and keeping track of all surgical instruments
- Ensuring proper sterilization techniques during operation
- Disinfecting the OR post-op
Join a growing field
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of Surgical Technologists is expected to grow 30 percent from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations. As of May 2012, the median wage for Surgical Technologists was $41,790 per year, or $20.09 an hour!