Medical Assistants Recognition Week 2023
What is Medical Assistants Day?
National Medical Assistants Day falls on October 18, 2023, however, many observe the entire third week of October as Medical Assistants Appreciation Week! This time of designated gratitude was created in 1980 by the American Association of Medical Assistants.
This year marks over 40 years of celebration with the theme “Medical Assistants Shine Bright,” emphasizing the trail of light they leave behind with their compassionate care! Keep reading to learn about the many responsibilities of medical assistants, how important their contribution is, and why they deserve special recognition!
A Vast and Vital Career Field
There are so many benefits to medical assisting, one being diverse opportunities, with career choices including administration, pediatrics, fertility, ophthalmology, clinical work, and more! Regardless of the specific field, the common denominator of all medical assistants is the responsibility of handling patients effectively and with careful attention, making sure they receive the highest quality care. Other typical duties include collecting specimens and running diagnostic tests, taking X-rays or various brain scans, managing the admissions and discharge process, taking vitals, and educating patients on proper care procedures.
The importance of medical assistants in everyday healthcare is unimaginable, their contributions allowing the medical community to continue functioning. If you’ve ever sought any type of health care, chances are that you’ve interacted with a medical assistant. Without their help, your visit likely wouldn’t have been as thorough.
Providing Compassionate Care
It takes a particular type of person to do this job: intelligent, highly trained, compassionate, and dedicated are some common ways to describe them. Milwaukee Career College offers a Medical Assistant Program that encompasses clinical hours and externships where real-life experience is acquired in less than one year.
These skilled professionals are not only highly knowledgeable, but also have the unique ability to empathize with and relate to patients. This holds true even when patients in their care aren’t always kind or easygoing. This gift of compassion separates them from the masses. Not everyone can do this job!
Putting the Spotlight on Medical Assistants
Since medical assistants “shine bright” and work hard for us every day, it’s fitting that we put the spotlight on them during their week of recognition! Every day is another chance to appreciate their dedication, but this week is an opportunity to go above and beyond for the medical assistants in your life. Here are some creative ways to show your gratitude:
- Host a celebration: Designate a time for a company get-together where they can be celebrated and praised for their contributions. Helpful tip: everyone loves free party snacks!
- Make it Public: What a better way to raise awareness than posting on social media? Give a heartfelt shoutout to medical assistants as a whole, of individually! You could also make posters to display in the office to encourage more people to show gratitude!
- Offer Incentives: A gift card or free lunch is surely appreciated but can sometimes feel repetitive. Instead, consider rewarding your employees with an extra PTO day, monetary bonus, or a salary increase.
- Write a Letter of Thanks:Kind words can make a huge impact! If a tangible gift isn’t in the cards this year, take the time to write personalized letters expressing your gratitude. This will surely be remembered and valued by the recipient.
- Recognize Every Day: Sure, this week is set aside for medical assistants, but they work tirelessly every day for our benefit. We should be recognizing this regularly. Ask for their input, acknowledge their effort, and give praise when warranted!
Thank You to All Medical Assistants!
From all of us at Milwaukee Career College, thank you to all medical assistants for your immense role in the healthcare community! Also, we want to extend a special shoutout to our past and present medical assistant students who strive every day to lear, grow in their careers, and help others stay healthy!
If you’re ready to get started on your career as a medical assistant, give us a call at 414-246-8614 or fill out the form on this page!
TAKE THE FIRST STEP!
By clicking below, I consent to receive telephone calls and text messages from Milwaukee Career College containing information at the number above about their programs. I understand that the calls and messages may be initiated with automated equipment and that I am not required to provide this consent to be eligible to enroll.