Get a Surgical Technology Associates Degree in less than 2 years!
Do you have a great attention to detail and a desire to work in the medical field? Then consider choosing the Surgical Technology training program at Milwaukee Career College! Our Surgical Technology program prepares students for careers as a surgical technologist who work directly with surgeons to perform a variety of tasks before, during and after surgery.
Surgeons rely on Surgical Technologists to provide superior patient care in the operating room (OR). Some of the common tasks they perform include:
- Ensuring the OR has been disinfected and all surgical instruments have been properly sterilized
- Setting up surgical supplies and equipment before operation
- Handing and receiving surgical instruments and supplies to and from the medical team
- Accounting and keeping track of all surgical instruments
- Ensuring proper sterilization techniques during operation
- Disinfecting the OR post-op
What Is A Surgical Technologist?
“Surgical Technologist is a great career for a person who is detail-oriented, enjoys being part of a team, and can do well in a fast-paced and serious work environment.”
Important qualities found in a good Surgical Technologist include:
- Attention to Detail – One of the most important tasks of a Surgical Technologist is to pay close attention to their work at all times. They need to be able to provide the correct sterile equipment for surgeons and keep count of the instruments being used.
- Physical Stamina – Surgical Technologists should be comfortable standing for extended periods of time.
- Stress-Management Skills – Working in an operating room can be stressful. Surgical Technologists should be able to work well under pressure while providing a high level of care.
Join a Growing Field
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of Surgical Technologists is expected to grow 15 percent from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations.