National Veterinary Technician Week 2023
30 Years of Celebration
Your beloved pets deserve the best healthcare possible, and that requires the attentive help of everyone on the veterinary clinic team! The National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA) recognized that and created a week intended to celebrate these professionals: National Veterinary Technician Week!
Declared to fall on October 15-21, 2023, this year marks the 30th celebration. Because the celebration now spans three decades, the quite fitting theme is “Pearls of Wisdom,” pearls being the symbol of the 30th wedding anniversary. NAVTA has collected valuable advice from many Credentialed Veterinary Technicians that can guide you in your journey to becoming a vet tech!
Veterinary Technicians Wear Many Hats
Veterinary technicians are the backbone of a functioning veterinary practice. When you bring your furry friend to the vet, it’s likely that most of your visit will be spent with a vet tech. These professionals handle the animals, administer tests and medications, take X-rays, take blood samples, educate pet owners, and so much more! At Milwaukee Career College, accredited by the AVMA, our Veterinary Technician Program spans just under two years. This includes an externship and many clinical hours spent developing the necessary skills to ensure your pets are in well-trained hands! It takes a skilled, intelligent, and empathetic individual who is passionate about animal well-being to do this job.
Vet techs do it all and are essential to the smooth operation of any clinic, but to balance out the benefits, this job can also be emotionally and physically taxing, so be sure to give your vet tech an extra sentiment of gratitude!
Keeping the Practice Productive
Vet techs go above and beyond for your pets, whether they have fur, skin, or scales! These pets aren’t always happy to be at the vet (and we don’t blame them), but it can make the job of a technician that much more difficult! Handling and keeping clam large or unruly animals is a difficult but frequent aspect of the job.
These professionals are also a crucial communication point between veterinarians, clinic management, and staff. They convey the appropriate treatment information to staff after visits and often educate pet owners on proper care. They also debrief veterinarians on important results from vital tests so they are well-prepared to give a thorough exam and diagnosis. Without the hard work and dedication of vet tech everywhere, your precious pets wouldn’t be able to receive the care they need!
Show Appreciation for Vet Techs
Veterinary technicians should be appreciated every day of the year, but this week has been set aside especially for their recognition. Gratitude should be sincere, no one likes a seemingly forced “thank you.” That’s why we’ve put together some creative ways to acknowledge the vet techs in your life:
- Hold a “Vet Awards” Ceremony: Get together with your team and come up with creative superlatives that acknowledge each of your vet tech’s strengths: maybe they’re a kitten magnet or an X-ray expert! Hold a quick “awards ceremony” to present them with these certificates and maybe a gift card! Also, a genuine “thank you” speech and some snacks couldn’t hurt!
- Host a Team Lunch: A free meal is nothing to scoff at, but consider using this time to verbally express your appreciation and voice how their contributions keep the clinic afloat!
- Post on Social Media: An employee shoutout or even a general post thanking your vet techs can make them feel recognized for their hard work! If more people learn about National Veterinary Technician Week, there will be more people who can help celebrate!
- Promote Their Hard Word: As we’ve seen, vet techs have a lot of responsibilities! Create infographics of these tasks or statistics with a thought-provoking mantra like “have you thanked your vet tech today?” and display them around the clinic. This public display of their hard work may be the friendly reminder everyone needs!
- Practice Kindness Everyday: Although this week is a good opportunity to show extra appreciation, there’s never a bad time to be thankful! Try to form a habit of being appreciative toward everyone on your team every day!
Thank You, Veterinary Technicians!
All of us at Milwaukee Career College would like to extend a very heartfelt thank you to all of the veterinary technicians everywehre who are making the world a happier place, one furry friend at a time! We also want to give a special shoutout to our vet tech students, past and present, who are in the upcoming generation of wonderfully talented animal healthcare professionals!
If you’re interested in a career as a veterinary technician, give us a call at 414-246-8614 or fill out the form on this page!
TAKE THE FIRST STEP!
By clicking below, I consent to receive telephone calls and text messages from Milwaukee Career College containing information at the number above about their programs. I understand that the calls and messages may be initiated with automated equipment and that I am not required to provide this consent to be eligible to enroll.